Friday, August 17, 2012

Have you ever completed a large project and when done, you just don't want to start another large one yet? I've been in that frame of mind for about a month, since I finished Secret Identity (see previous post). So, while cleaning up Secret Identity's mess, I ran across several things. (Amazing, I finished four projects in less than two weeks!)

Years ago, I read an article in Quilting Arts magazine in the Fall 2004 issue called Art Quilting Made Easy that caught my imagination. It incorporated vintage photographs, vintage looking fabrics and embellishments into small wall quilts, measuring 9"x14" or so. Of course, I scanned the article and paid no attention to the actual instructions, but ran with the look of them and made my own.

Here are my efforts. I really like them. They were very easy to complete, the hardest thing to do is figure out the best embellishments to use. (Sorry that the photos make them look misshapen, they really are correctly proportioned!)

 Ancestors I, 8"x10", fused applique onto stiff, thick stabilizer (like Timtex). Lace, buttons, couched pearl cotton, photo transfer onto Electric Quilt's Printable Fabric. Vintage photo of my husband's grandmother.

















 Ancestors II, 10"x14", fused applique onto stiff, thick stabilizer (like Timtex). Lace, beads, my handmade tatting, photo transfer onto Electric Quilt's Printable Fabric. Vintage photo of my husband's great grandmother.
So, after I made those, I was rummaging around in a bag of things my friend Shirlee had given me. This bag originally came from another friend, Betty Bryant's stash. After Betty had passed away, her husband gave permission for her friends to go through her things and most of her fabric was sold by our guild as a fund raiser. Shirlee had taken this bag of unfinished items home and recently found it when rearranging her studio. She offered it to me, knowing that I like to make art quilts, as Betty did.

In the bag, I found many fun things, but all would take more effort than I was willing to put in at the moment. I dug deeper until I ran across a sample block that Betty had made for her quilt Confusion. Confusion was made for a Loose Threads (art quilting group) challenge, in which each participant was given an emotion to use to create a quilt. 
I recognized it right away. Betty had used this block to test her quilting idea. She did random lines of stitching, interspersed with a couple of decorative machine stitches with a varigated thread in primary colors. There were scraps from her borders, a black and white and primary colored narrow inner border. I used the scraps to piece a new back, since she had used muslin for the sample and the back is just about as confused as the front! I added a primary colored stripe from my stash for the front border and bound it in black. I love how it turned out, I didn't have to work hard to do it either!

This last one is a project done for a group on Quilt With Us by Connecting Threads. It is a fun community of quilters, who share their work and their lives with others, whom we may never meet in person, but who are friendly and giving. 

There are many small groups to fit anyone's taste. I belong to several and recently a new group called UFO Swap was formed. Diane, the group leader, assigned partners and we were to trade UFO blocks and each create something new and return it to the original owner. 

Gwen sent me these (I had already partially dismantled the left block before I remembered to take a pic): 

And I created this: 

It is 4" wide and about 28" long. The poem says, 
Apple Pie
Sweet, tart apples 
and cinnamon spice,
Sprinkle 
with love and sugar, 
Nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment