This quilt was finished in August 2011, in time to give it as a gift to my son, to commemorate a special date of his. I began working on it over 10 years ago and for various reasons, it was never finished. I designed myself into a problem, when I couldn't figure out what borders to put on and I gave up and put it away. It was originally meant to be a bed quilt, but I discovered that it was only going to be a wall quilt when I pulled it out to finish it this year.
The dragon was painted on fabric by my mom, using a design that she had drawn into a painting for my son. It had two dragons, a castle and some other things, all done with colored pencil. It's very cool.
I fused and machine appliqued the dragon and then thread painted the details.
The design was adapted from Judy Dale's "Coriolus" and Judy Mathieson's "Mariner's Compass Quilts" book.